Thursday, May 04, 2006

Maybe I Blog Too Much
It's been suggested, sure. It's even been suggested by me. And I've thought a lot about quantity vs. quality in this writing, why I feel the desire/need to write here anyway. There are myriad reasons, of course, and some of them are 'better' than others, but I think one central reason comes down to this:

I just feel more sane when I write.

I love it when people comment, I like knowing people are reading and maybe even getting something from what I write (even if what they take away is an example of how not to be or something!). But, even if I never knew that somebody else read what I wrote--the possibility that they might is what, in part, makes writing here different from writing in my private journals (which, silly of me, I think nobody will ever read). That doesn't mean it makes me proofread or think harder or whatever, really--but it does mean that I'm writing not only for myself; an imaginary audience is still an audience.

Still: I just feel more sane when I write.

Maybe others feel this way about dance, or singing, or sex (ok, I suppose I feel this way about two out of three of those things, too); I happen to feel it strongly when I write. The catharsis is a great pleasure, and as long as I'm getting some pleasure and not hurting anybody (trying not to--though I don't always succeed) in the process, I doubt I'll ever stop, really. I don't like essentialist definitions, even simple ones about parts of myself, but sometimes I do feel like I was just born this way:


Filed under:Blogging and Comics as Life, and Therapy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home